Reimage a Computer with Lubuntu Linux
- Plug in the yellow Lubuntu USB drive.
- Turn on the computer and repeatedly press F12 until you see Preparing one-time boot menu in the upper right corner.
- When prompted to choose a boot device, select USB Storage Device.
- When you see the lubuntu installer boot menu, choose Install Lubuntu.
- When prompted to choose a language, select English.
- When prompted to Download updates while installing Lubuntu and Install third-party software and graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, Flash, MP3 and other media, check both boxes and click continue.
- When prompted to choose an installation type, select Erase disk and install Lubuntu. (You may see a couple options that look similar to this one. If you are unsure, ask before proceeding).
- A warning will pop up asking if you want to write the changes to disks. Select Continue.
- When asked "Where are you?" choose Anchorage.
- For the Keyboard layout, select English (US) in both windows.
- When you get to the Who are you? screen...
- If this is a laptop we plan to keep at the school, call me over. I will fill out the name, username, computer name, and password fields.
- If this is a desktop we plan to send home with a student, use ProjectReboot for the Your name: field and the password. Accept the defaults provided/created by the system for all the other fields.
Install Additional Software & Tweak
(Only for laptops we plan to keep at the school)
- Make sure the computer is plugged in.
- Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet (plug in an Ethernet cable).
- Login to an administrator account (on my computers this will be the mb08353 account)
- Click on the Menu button in the lower left corner
- Open a terminal window by clicking System Tools >> LXTerminal
- Type cd /media/mb08353/Installer to change directories to the script on the USB drive.
- Type sudo ./install.sh to run the installation script.
- Type in the number that corresponds to the computer you are imaging and press enter.
- It will take a fair amount of time to install all the additional software.